Monday, December 15, 2008

Sleeping Wars

Hey Everyone,
That's what I feel like we are having at our house- sleeping wars. Ryker has slowly started to sleep worse and worse, and I really don't get it! Getting up 4 times in one night doesn't really seem right when he has gone almost a week with just 2 wakings per night. Anyways, I started feeling really weak and dizzy last night and I think that it is just stress about him sleeping along with exhaustion. With school starting in 3 short weeks-something had to be done.
Today I re-read my "Becoming BabyWise" book and decided that I needed to implement their plan. The BabyWise Plan is basically that you go through feed-wake-nap cycles (in that order) throughout the day so that your baby will sleep better at night. They also suggest laying your baby down when they are drowsy but still awake so they can learn to go to sleep by themselves.
I feel like the worst mom ever because he is crying in the other room right now because I layed him down. I know he is so tired because he has barely slept today and was almost falling asleep in his bounceer, but he just cries. He is fed, changed and not in pain or sick so I feel a little better knowing he is alright. I check on him and calm him down every 5 minutes but it still takes him a while to fall asleep. Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you have any suggestions or went through the same thing. Also, let me know if you know a better way and/or think I am completely mean and heartless- cuz man I feel like it right now!
Love,
Ashley

1 comment:

Trev and Shantel said...

Oh you sweet girl... I so remember being there and wanting to pull my hair out sitting there listening to Jaxon cry... Ashley I promise you if you honestly try to follow babywise it will help him sleep better... It will take sometime for him to sleep through the night but it will happen... there are a lot of strong opinions out there about letting your baby cry or not... Some people can't handle it at all but as long as you know that he isn't in need of anything and not in pain you are not doing anything wrong... Jaxon still has his bad nights and he is 10 months old! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if you need any help at all! I am more than willing to come and sit with your babes while you sleep for a couple hours.. I know how it fills to be up 4-5 times a night and then trying to get through the next day... Just keep in mind that he will not start sleeping through the night or start taking regular naps right off the bat... It will probably take 1 1/2-2 months but it will get there slowly! Let me know if you need anything dear!